You are here
Home > Club Rugby > HOBM maintain winning record as OBU and MSP miss out on Championship round

HOBM maintain winning record as OBU and MSP miss out on Championship round

Petone players celebrate their 23-17 win over Poneke.

Results for the 10th round of Swindale Shield matches HERE

Bonus point wins weren’t enough.

The final 2019 Swindale Shield points table.

Two-time defending Jubilee Cup champions Old Boys University and Premier powerhouses Marist St Pat’s both did what they needed to do to get into the ‘top 7’, but results out of their control and bonus points to other teams conspired to keep both of them outside the cut-off for this year’s Jubilee Cup round starting next weekend.

Old Boys University slayed Paremata-Plimmerton 106-7 and MSP scored four tries in beating Oriental-Rongotai 22-15, but both finished the new 10-round Swindale Shield on 31 points and one point outside of the cut-off range.

At the top of the standings, already confirmed Swindale Shield champions for 2019, Hutt Old Boys Marist won their 10th straight win of their campaign. The Eagles beat last year’s Swindale winners Northern United 40-7 to finish on 49 points out of a possible 50.

The remaining six teams to contest the Jubilee Cup this year are: Norths, Petone, Wainuiomata, Tawa, Oriental-Rongotai and Poneke.

OBU and MSP will be joined in the Premier 2 Hardham Cup by the Upper Hutt Rams, Avalon, Wellington, Paremata-Plimmerton and Johnsonville.

In the four other Swindale Shield results today, Petone defeated Poneke 23-17, Wainuiomata overcame Wellington 28-10, Tawa beat the Upper Hutt Rams 38-14 and Avalon jumped Johnsonville 21-17.

Meanwhile, the Marist St Pat’s second XV also finished their first round unbeaten, with a 33-15 win over Ories to emphatically retain the Premier Reserve Harper Lock Shield. Following the fate of their top side, they will be playing in the second tier Premier Reserve competition for the rest of the season.

The final Colts Division 1 points table.

OBU Green also won the 2019 Colts Division 1 Paris Memorial Trophy competition. OBU beat Paremata-Plimmerton 31-10 to finish unbeaten. MSP came second by beating the Upper Hutt Rams Colts 48-0.

The Rams Colts will move down to Division 2 for the remainder of the season, to be replaced in the John E Kelly Cup competition by first round Division 2 winners Oriental-Rongotai.

The other two Division 1 Colts results today saw third placed Norths defeat fourth placed HOBM 26-19 and Tawa edge Petone 29-28.

In Women’s rugby, leader Oriental-Rongotai had the bye today and will just require a bonus point from their final round match in a fortnight to win the first round Rebecca Liua’ana Trophy.

Two big results and two rather closer ones formed the penultimate round. Last night Norths beat Wainuiomata 59-10 and today MSP eased past neighbours Poneke 113-0, with Jane Bryce and Paige Va’auli both scoring 5 tries. Paremata-Plimmerton got past HOBM 29-12, while OBU ensured that the battle for the remaining Division 1 places will go to the last week by beating Petone 29-20 at Te Whaea.

OBU never trailed in the match, with Petone missing at least 7 first-choice players. Thamsyn Newton crossed twice for the Impalas, matched by the Ponies’ Davina Lasini, but the result was in doubt until Montana Heslop skipped through in the 78th minute.

In JC Bowl U85kg rugby, leaders Avalon maintained their unbeaten record after seven rounds with a 36-0 win over the OBU outfit. Wellington beat the Upper Hutt Rams 20-10 today to move to second equal with them on the standings behind the Wolves. The HOBM Howlers are fourth after getting past Eastbourne 20-18 in their clash.


In the opening round of the First XV Premiership two-time defending champions St Pat’s Silverstream were pushed hard by Wairarapa College, holding on to win 19-12 at home.

Premiership newcomers Aotea College impressed in beating St Bernard’s College 43-7, while Scots College beat Rongotai College 48-19, St Pat’s Town were too strong for Kapiti College 62-18 and Wellington College overcame HIBS 59-0

In a Premier 2 fixture that also doubled as a Co-ed Cup and  Beard Cup match, Tawa College beat Mana College 27-5.

Dane Coles scores his try today.

In some Swindale Shield action today, Petone and Poneke met in a high quality match to close their Swindale Shield campaigns – and fittingly both two clubs made the top 7.

Petone scored the game’s first try through No. 8 Tupou Sopoaga, but Poneke had the services of All Blacks hooker Dane Coles for the first 40 minutes and he had a blinder around the field. A Coles break in general play led to them scoring their first try to fullback Michael Sage.

With the wind, Petone kicked two penalties to edge ahead 13-7, before Coles himself scored a standout try, followed by another to lock Cole Stewart. Petone’s right wing Willie Fine was yellow carded and it was all Petone could do to hang on a trail 13-17 at the interval.

The first 20 minutes was all Poneke, but some outstanding, resolute defence held them out. A highlight and probably the big play of the game was a try-saving tackle by centre Josh Onekawa on No. 8 Greg Foe holding him up over the line off the back of an attacking scrum.

Petone broke out and replacement wing Sam Blackburn scored in the grandstand corner to put the Villagers up 18-17. Poneke’s Galu Taufale was sin-binned and from the next lineout play, Petone’s Sopoaga scored his second try and the match-clincher. Petone won the F.J Tilyard Shield in this match too.

Up the road and over the bridge, the HOBM Eagles played with clinical aggression and control to score three first half tries and take a 19-0 lead into halftime against Northern United.

Norths enjoyed plenty of opportunities on attack but couldn’t pierce the Eagles’ defensive line. They started the match dominating scrums, but HOBM weathered this set-piece storm well. Their back three would prove effective with their finishing and speed. They went on to more than double their score and were good for their 40-7 win on their Old Timers’ Day.

At the top of the Hutt Valley, Tawa opened with a try under the posts, but the home side the Upper Hutt Rams hit back with a try to centre Todd Svenson. Both sides scored once more before halftime, with Rams lock Taine Tata going over and then Tawa hooker Sitiveni Paongo scoring on halftime.

Paongo scored again early in the second half to put Tawa ahead 19-14. The run of play remained tight until deep into the fourth quarter when Tawa pulled clear for a hard-fought win.

At Helston Park, Johnsonville went close to breaking their 25-game losing record in the Swindale Shield against the Avalon Wolves. Playing with the wind in the first half, Johnsonville led 12-7 at halftime, courtesy of two tries to centre Tawera Rameka-Styles versus one to Avalon flanker Daniel Smith.

The Hawks continued to fight hard in the second half and went ahead 17-7 with a try to flanker Taewa Rima, only for Avalon to close to 17-14 and then score the winner a few minutes from fulltime to take the gloss of Johnsonville’s Old Timers’ Day.

It was a similar story at Hataitai Park, where visitors Wainuiomata beat Wellington 28-10 for the Bill Jones Cup but had to work hard for victory.

Wellington opened the scoring through lock James Poloniati, but Wainuiomata replied through wing Saita Tuaoi. A second try to the green and blacks through centre Michael Lealava’a and a penalty to the Axemen’s Henry Hocking made it 14-10 to the visitors at halftime.

Wainuomata were then able to double their tally in the second 40 minutes to take the win and take third equal on the final standings.

Over at the Polo Ground, visitors Marist St Pat’s scored three of the four tries they needed at the minimum to qualify for the Jubilee Cup for the 45th consecutive year in the first half.

Loosehead prop Tui Tuia scored first after a break by midfielder Isaiah Petelo, right wing Willie Schutz latched on to a grubber kick by flyhalf James Proctor and flanker James Tuia scored on halftime following an attacking scrum. Ories also scored two first half tries, to lock Tuakana Meterau and centre Malachai Unasa and MSP led 17-10 at the break.

Ten minutes into the second half, James Tuia scored his double to open up a 22-10 lead, before replacement wing Reuben Va’a finished the game’s scoring with a try in the 60th minute. In winning this one, MSP will go into the Hardham Cup as Bill Brien Challenge Cup holders.

Up at Nairnville Park, Old Boys University had their four-try bonus point against Paremata-Plimmerton inside 15 minutes. The Goats exploded into this match and went on to lead 71-0 at halftime – turning into the wind.

Paremata-Plimmerton were more competitive after the break, but couldn’t prevent OBU from raising the ton. For OBU, No. 8 Teariki Ben Nicholas scored some four tries.

The OBU Impalas following their 29-20 win over Petone.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: