Above: Pepesana Patafilo streaks clear to score one of his two tries for Tawa against Marist St Pat’s in early May. PHOTO: Barry Stead.
A torrent of tries were scored this season in Wellington club rugby.
In the first part of our try-scoring clips highlights this year, we take a look at some of action from the Swindale Shield.
1.Petone started 2019 with much promise, taking down Tawa 41-22 on their own home patch at Lyndhurst Park on the opening afternoon of the Swindale Shield, with Willie Fine bagging a brace:
View this post on Instagram
A Fine afternoon. The opening afternoon of Wellington club rugby was played in warm, sunny conditions. Lots of good rugby at the seven venues. At @tawarugby1 visitors @petonerugby scored four tries off dropped passes or intercepts – including two carbon-copy decisive tries here to right wing Willie Fine. More videos and photos from the opening round to come. Roundup and results on our website, see #linkinbio
2. Esi Komaisavai grabbed this winning try at the end of the match in Northern United’s 30-25 win over Old Boys University in week 2, in what was a replay of the previous year’s final:
3. HOBM centre Jordan-Glen Bradbrook scorched through to score this clutch try in their 36-34 win over Poneke in what was an early season top-of-table-clash at Kilbirnie Park. This fixture lived up to its billing, as soon-to-be Swindale Shield champions HOBM raced ahead early and led 36-19 midway through the second half, only for Poneke to come roaring back and almost snatch a draw.
4. Left wing Rueben Va’a scored a try from club rugby heaven in his side’s entertaining 32-25 win over Northern United at Jerry Collins Stadium in the sixth round of the Swindale Shield. Ories had led 22-15 at halftime but both sides launched sublime passages of play in the second spell to spark the late April crowd.
5. Pepesana Patafilo scored two classy, clinical and determined tries for Tawa when they hosted Marist St Pat’s in early May. The tries were in a losing effort, with MSP winning this Swindale Shield match 46-29 in a 6 tries to 5 spectacle. Patafilo later played several eye-catching games in the NPC for the Wellington Lions.
View this post on Instagram
Two tries in 10 minutes to @tawarugby1 centre threequarter Pepesana Patafilo today off his own Grubbers. Tawa came back from 7-32 down to close to 24-32 but @msprugby went on to win their #swindaleshield2019 fixture 46-29. For today's results and round-up visit www.clubrugby.co.nz or #linkinbio or our Facebook page.
6. Salesi Rayasi scored this match clinching try in HOBM’s Swindale Shield Round Round 9 41-31 win over Ories – the game and probably the try that gave HOBM the first round title with the following week’s final round set of matches to spare.
Still to come in the ‘Tries of the Season’ series: Men’s club rugby tries parts 2 and 3, Women’s tries, College rugby/First XV tries and Representative rugby tries.