You are here
Home > Club Rugby > Paremata-Plimmerton and Johnsonville earn week off, Petone and MSP drop to Hardham Cup

Paremata-Plimmerton and Johnsonville earn week off, Petone and MSP drop to Hardham Cup

Tawa second five Lumafale Lualua on the charge against Petone in today’s opening round Jubilee Cup fixture, won narrowly by Tawa.

Jubilee Cup results and scoring (as received) HERE

Hardham Cup results and scoring (as received) HERE

  • Club rugby round-up by Steven White and Scott MacLean

Updated Sunday: The top two qualifiers from the first round, Swindale Shield winners Paremata-Plimmerton and runners-up Johnsonville, have earned a Jubilee Cup bye next weekend and will return for the semi-finals in a fortnight.

Paremata-Plimmerton and Johnsonville will face the winners of next week’s knockout matches between the Upper Hutt Rams and Oriental-Rongotai and Old Boys University and Tawa.

Paremata-Plimmerton beat the Upper Hutt Rams 31-27 in today’s 1 v 4 Jubilee Cup semi-final at Ngati Toa Domain and Johnsonville over-ran OBU 46-12  at Helston Park in the 2 v 3 semi-final.

The other two Jubilee Cup week one matches saw the lower ranked team beat the higher ranked one in both fixtures. Tawa beat Petone 33-29 in their 6 v 7 match at the Petone Rec and Oriental-Rongotai beat Marist St Pat’s 25-20 in their 5 v 8 encounter at Hataitai Park.

This means that both Petone and MSP will drop down to contest the Hardham Cup for the remaining three weeks of the season.

In other Premier games today between already confirmed Hardham Cup sides, the HOBM Eagles beat the Wellington Axemen 62-24 at the Hutt Rec in the 9 v 14 clash, Poneke steamrolled the Avalon Wolves 58-7 at Kilbirnie Park in the 10 v 13 game and Wainuiomata rocketed to a 53-38 win over Northern United in the 11 v 12 fixture.

Next week’s Hardham Cup games will see MSP play the Wellington Axemen, Petone meet Avalon, HOBM play Norths and Poneke meet Wainuiomata.

Meanwhile, Scots College beat St Pat’s Silverstream 32-19 in today’s much-anticipated clash between the two previously unbeaten teams in the First XV Premiership. More on this game below.

In some around the grounds summaries to hand,  went to a 15-5 lead at halftime against MSP. Ories moved further ahead after the break with another try to make it 22-5. MSP came back with a converted try to former Ories flanker John Tuia and penalty to cut the lead to 22-15. MSP then crossed in the corner with a  few minutes still to play to cut the gap to 35-20, but Ories were able to hold them off to fulltime and progress in the Jubilee Cup next week.

Tawa led Petone 14-0 early at the Petone Rec, but Petone stormed back to move ahead 15-14 by halftime.

Early in the second half, midfielder Fuko Paonga crossed to the right of the posts early in the second half to see Tawa re-take the lead at 19-15.

Petone replacement Max Hosking then finished off a counter-attack up the far side to put Tawa up 22-19. It got better for Petone when fullback TJ Clarke cut through off an attacking lineout near halfway and Petone were now up 29-19.

Petone fullback TJ Clarke is all determination on his way to the tryline.

In the 60th minute, flanker Ezra Dunlop crashed over from close range and Petone now led 29-26. The winning try was then scored by right wing Tony Solomona with just under 10 minutes to play, as Tawa’s backs ran hard and straight from a ruck 40 metres out and second five Lualua and centre Paongo set up the try scorer who cut back in field and crashed over. The conversion was good and Tawa held on to their 33-29 lead for the remainder of the match.

HOBM scored 10 tries and Brandyn Laursen kicked six conversions on their 62-24 win over the Wellington Axemen. Hooker Damien Henare, fullback Justin Wilson and replacement back Jordan Glen-Bradbrook all crossed for two tries each.

First five Tyler Tane scored 33 points for Wainuiomata in their win over Norths, consisting of three tries, six conversions and a penalty and dropped goal. For Norths, No. 8 Jeremiah Collins scored a hat-trick and centre Ropati Sooalo two tries.

Swindale Shield champions Paremata-Plimmerton can thank their hard-working forwards as well as two more brilliant tries scored through the backs that gave them their 31-27 win over the Upper Hutt Rams at home that earned themselves a week off next week.

With an increasingly dominant scrum, Paremata-Plimmerton overcame a 13-10 half time deficit to secure a match-winning lead with about 15 minutes to play, in strong, blustery conditions at Ngāti Toa Domain.

Starting first five-turned halfback Sam Clarke kicked an early second half penalty to level the scores at 13-13 before the Hammerheads struck with two consecutive tries midway through the second half. The first saw No. 8 Mellenniumma Leota snatching a loose ball from an Upper Hutt lineout to scamper 20 metres through open space score, to make it 20-13.

Rams hooker Eli Hunt battles through traffic in a first half against the Hammerheads.

The second proved to be their winning try when they attacked from a dominant scrum on halfway and ripped the ball wide, and fullback  Blake Neve scored a try up the same clubrooms side of the field to make it 25-13.

The Rams then re-established momentum and worked their way up into a strong position, leading to a quick tap penalty and halfback Kaide McCashin scoring under the posts to close the gap to 25-20.

With the wind and the lowering sun in their favour Paremata-Plimmerton fullback Clarke kicked two penalties to clinch their win. The Rams fought hard to the end and were rewarded with a try on full time to livewire left wing Jono Ryan, to finish on a high.

The first half was a hard fought 40 minutes in bright sunshine and windy conditions that proved tough for both sides to wrestle ascendancy. Paremata-Plimmerton opened the scoring with their first long-range try of the game. From a turnover deep inside their own half in the 12th minute they counter-attacked up field, centre Joe Faleafaga received the final pass to canter in to score under the posts.

In the 22nd minute the Rams replied with their first try of the match, building phases and after a series of pick-and-goes, captain and No. 8 Toby Crosby punched through the defence to score.

Both teams kicked penalties to keep the scoreboard tight, before the Rams scored just before half time when first-five Tynan Barrett the recipient of a quick tap from a penalty near the corner, dived over just inside the flag to put the Rams up 13-10 at half time.

Paremata-Plimmerton might welcome the week off next Saturday, with a couple of injury concerns, not least in the halfback department. They finished the match with their fourth choice halfback Clarke following the early departure of starting halfback Luke Kapene and then his replacement Zane Edwards going off injured as well. This followed their regular halfback Esi Komisavai already sitting out this match through injury after leaving the field early last week against OBU.

Johnsonville produced an electric performance to dispatch a disappointing Old Boys-University in their top-four qualifier at Helston Park today. The Hawks led 10-0 after just six minutes after an early Mark Sutton penalty was followed by Aukuso Tuitama picking off a pass and racing 50m to score. OBU then rolled their sleeves up and had the better of the next 15 minutes but that came to a crashing halt when they coughed up possession and Anthony Pettett put fellow tight forward Ha’amea Ahio away. OBUY redoubled their efforts and were rewarded when Reece Plumtree crossed after some sustained pressure and would have been happy enough turning with the wind at the backs for the second half down 7-17, but clocked off from the restart and conceded when Tyler Hall crossed.

The Hawks then put the result beyond doubt with a devastating burst after the interval. Sutton kicked a 40m penalty into the wind before a sumptuous second to Tuitama featured Jacob Walmsley, Finlay Sharp, and Olly Paotonu in the lead up. Sharp added one of his own before blindside Josh Betham crossed in the opposite corner. OBU’s discipline deserted them and they lost a man to the bin, but had a consolation runaway to reserve halfback Iseleli Aholeli which provided a small degree of solace on a very disappointing afternoon for the Goats and a terrific one for the Hawks

Premier 2

Tawa ran their record to 48 games without defeat as they beat HOBM 37-12 n their Ed Chaney top-four encounter at Lyndhurst Park.

Tawa led 12-0 early before HOBM regrouped and veteran Blake McGregor darted over from close range to close the margin. Tawa crossed once more before halftime with the seemingly obligatory try to the ageless Peniasi Tokakeve and turned to face the wind 19-7 up, and increased that margin with their fourth try and a dropped goal under penalty advantage by first-five Mika Cooper-Finau – his third in recent weeks. McGregor scored a second for the Eagles, before two more for the hosts took the score to 37-12 and assure themselves of next week off and a home semi-final.

The other top four Ed Chaney Cup fixture saw Poneke beat Petone 34-32 in a thriller. Poneke will join Tawa on the sidelines next week.

The Rams beat Ories 34-31 in the 6 v 7 match and MSP and Stokes Valley met in the 5 v 8 game (score to be confirmed).

Paremata-Plimmerton comfortably beat Avalon 49-12 in the 9 v 12 HD Morgan Memorial curtain-raiser at Ngati Toa Domain.

Paremata-Plimmerton halfback Jake Tibbitts scored a first half hat-trick and their scrum was completely dominant as the home team led 29-0 at the break. came back into the game more in the second half and were rewarded by scoring two tries.

Halfback Jake Tibbitts on his way to his first half hat-trick.

In the other HD Morgan Memorial games, Norths beat Wainuimata 25-22 and Johnsonville edged OBU 31-28.


Results in the final round of the Colts Paris Memorial trophy went as predicted, with a slew of big scores for the favoured sides.

Petone cemented second with a 53-5 win over Norths, Ories were pushed early by Poneke before prevailing 40-15, and Tawa were too good for a depleted OBU winning 40-3. MSP were the other winners last night by 39-7 over Wellington, while in today’s only match Upper Hutt coasted to a 87-0 win over minnows Wainuiomata. HOBM, who had already wrapped up the title, had the bye.

That sets the stage for the quarterfinals in a fortnight’s time, with Norths the unlucky side to drop out and join Wellington and Wainuiomata in the bottom three.

The final finishing order and points of the first round reads: HOBM (46), Petone (43), Ories (37), Tawa (35), Upper Hutt Rams (29), MSP (26), OBU (24), Poneke (23), Norths (22), Wellington (3), Wainuiomata (0).


The OBU Scallywags completed a clean sweep with maximum points from all matches today, fending off the Wellington Axemen and winning their game 139-0 at Nairnville Park. OBU are the first round JC Bowl winners.

In one other score today, Petone beat MSP 34-12. There were no fewer than three defaults today in the U85kg grade.

The teams now split into the top six-bottom six split for the second round U85kg Division 1 and 2 competitions.


  • Round-up and photos by Joe @tackld
  • St Pat’s Silverstream v Scots College report by Adam Julian.


Scots College overpowered St Patrick’s College, Silverstream 32-19 to become the only unbeaten team in the Premiership with two rounds to play.

Despite a first-half red card, which led to a try being disallowed, Scots’ size and ability to outflank the hosts resulted in a comfortable victory.

Silverstream lock Alex Hewitt scored two late tries to close the gap from 32-7 to 32-19. Hewitt and tenacious blindside Drew Berg-Mclean were hearty in a pack that was ill-disciplined at the breakdown and didn’t generate enough quick ruck ball to stretch their considerably larger opposition.

Scots winger Richard Jones scored the game’s first try.

Scots jumped to a 12-0 lead after 20 minutes with tries to wingers Richard Jones and Happy Valley Patu. Blindside Semurana Fepulea’i and props Tobias Mene and Samuela Moli (celebrating his 50th match for Scots) were busy and a magnet for the Silverstream defense. That reality was exploited by first-five Pyreness Boyle-Tiatia whose passing and running game was authoritative and precise.

Hooker Jericho Wharehinga pulled one back for Silverstream with a rare visit inside the 22 but when Mene crashed over before halftime Scots showed they could still punish despite a red card.

Scots College score at the end of the first half.
Alex Hewitt had another big game for Silverstream.

Silverstream lacked imagination on attack and was often guilty of carrying too high into contact and fumbling the ball.

Scots backs were efficient without being awe-inspiring. Boyle-Tiatia kicked a 30m penalty after 40 minutes to make it 22-7 and then Fepulea’i, storming down the left wing, deftly distributed to reserve Alex McAslan as Scots secured a four-try bonus point.

Of concern for Scots was powerful and experienced second-five Ieitaia Campbell leaving the field with what appeared to be a shoulder injury. His maturity and booming right foot are an essential ingredient in their success.

Silverstream’s loss was their first in eight games in the local Premiership stretching back to the 2022 round-robin. In 2021 Scots beat Silverstream 17-15 on their home field. Scots have beaten Silverstream eight times since 2014.

Besides today’s big match-up at Silverstream, there were two other Tranzit Coachlines First XV Premiership games. St Patrick’s College (Town) made it four in the row to take third position on the table, just before the July holidays. Rongotai were the first to score at Evans Bay but the home team responded with 22 answered points. Momentum definitely seems to be picking up for the Town side. They have a talented squad who are capable of mustering a strong finish to the season. When they return from the holidays they have the immediate challenge of taking the Old Boys Cup to Silverstream, for their annual traditional on Wednesday 19 July.

St Bernard’s College scored six tries to beat Tawa 38-19 at Fraser Park. The two other games scheduled for today have been pushed back to Saturday 15 July. This includes a vital match-up between Wairarapa College and HIBS. The winner will take a big step to securing a play-off berth. After hosting and winning this year’s Quadrangular, Wellington College negotiated a little recess before playing Mana College.

Premier 2

St Patrick’s College (Silverstream) clearly communicated their intentions of retaining the Murray Jensen Cup in beating NaeNae College 74-0. This after enduring a midweek loss to an imposing Palmerston North Boys High School 2ndXV. Stream stand top of the table having achieved seven four-bonus-point-wins out of seven games.

Next on the table are the St Patrick’s College (Town) 2ndXV who managed a 41-17 win over Porirua. Margins were slightly closer with Paraparaumu beating Viard 32-24 and Aotea overcoming Hutt Valley High School 27-19.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply