You are here
Home > Hurricanes > Two draws at Rugby League Park on Saturday

Two draws at Rugby League Park on Saturday

There were two draws involving Hurricanes teams at Rugby League Park in Wellington on Saturday, and almost a third in the first match of two at Wellington Stadium.

The Huricanes U20s were first up on the day and scrambled to a 31-31 draw with the Crusaders U20s.

The Crusaders U20s led 31-10 after 55 minutes and had the game seemingly under control.

Both sides emptied their benches and the Hurricanes got a second wind and came back to score in the corner through captain and openside Cooper Flanders. Replacement first-five Isaiah Armstrong-Ravula slotted the sideline conversion to close the gap to 31-17. The Hurricanes scored two more converted tries over the final 10 minutes to lock it up to 31-31, the final score.

The Super Rugby U20s tournament in Taupo runs from 16-25 March.

Scoring highlights of that match below in association with Rob Law Max:


In the second match at Rugby League Park, the Hurricanes Hunters As and the Blues As drew 33-33.

The Hunters bounced back from their 47-14 loss to their Cusaders teammates last week with a much more assured performance.

Scoring was tit-for-tat throughout, but when right wing Dan Sinkinson injected himself into the backline following a penalty and lineout drive in the corner to score on the far side the Hurricanes led 19-12 at halftime.

The Blues replied with a try to halfback Lisati Milo-Harris to make it 19-19, Hurricanes fullback Ezra Malo scored next to put his side ahead 26-19, the Blues replied off a lineout to hooker Soane Vikena to see it go to 26-26, hometown No. 8 Sione Halililo scored off a scrum to see the Hurricanes go 33-26 up, while the Blues scored the equaliser through replacement Tamaru McGahan with just a couple of minutes to play.

There was high drama on fulltime, with the Blues breaking out through second five and first half try-scorer Corey Evans. He fed his outside support runner with the tryline beckoning but the pass was dropped and the Hurricanes held on for a draw.

Later at the Stadium, the Hurricanes Poua were level pegging with the Blues Women at 22-22 and a third draw was imminent.

But the Blues broke the pattern in the 79th minute by scoring the winning try and winning 29-22.

The Hurricanes men’s team came back from 22-5 down at halftime to close the deficit to 22-19, but the Blues kicked a late penalty to finish 25-19 ahead.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: