You are here
Home > Club Rugby > OBU lead, big wins for Ories, Tawa, Rams and Pare Plim as points table tightens

OBU lead, big wins for Ories, Tawa, Rams and Pare Plim as points table tightens

Catch me if you can. Upper Hutt Rams hooker Leon Tuiloma makes a run for it today against Marist St Pat’s. The Rams reversed their bid defeat last week to competition leaders OBU to win 46-19. Photo: Caroline Lewis. 

Old Boys University are out in front of the Swindale Shield as the competition passed the halfway mark this afternoon in matches played in windy but mostly dry conditions throughout the region.

Perhaps predictably, Old Boys beat competition strugglers Avalon 74-7 at Fraser Park, with centre Elijah Maene-Lokeni scoring five tries,but Paremata-Plimmerton’s Old Timers’ Day 24-12 win over  previous joint front runners Hutt Old Boys Marist has seen the Goats open up a five-point lead at the top of the standings.

There are eight points separating second and 11th place on the Swindale Shield standings.

Further down the table, there were some clutch wins for other teams as well, with the Upper Hutt Rams bouncing back from heavy defeat to OBU last Saturday and sailing to a 46-19 win over Marist St Pat’s. Left wing Ieti Campbell scored a hat-trick on starting debut. There was a delayed start to this match following a serious but reported non serious neck injury to a MSP Colts player in the curtain-raiser. This in turn followed a switch in referee with the starting referee Ethan Jefferson departing the field just before halftime with heart issues and assistant referee Steve Newsom taking over.

Oriental-Rongotai pegged recent high flyers Petone down a couple of notches with a 23-5 over them for the Jim Brown Memorial Trophy on Petone’s Old Timers’ Day in windy conditions. Ories won the day with a big defensive effort.

Dominic Ropeti on the burst today for Ories against Petone. Photo: Andy McArthur.

Tawa beat Johnsonville 40-35 with a winning try with the last play of the game breaking a 35-35 deadlock on their Old Timers’ Day and for the Carman Cup.

It finished all square up the road at Porirua Park as Northern United and Poneke drew 27-27 for the Cyril Collett Memorial Shield.

The final result of the afternoon saw Wainuiomata defeat Wellington 47-11 for the Bill Jones Cup at the park that trophy is named after. Wainuiomata also defended the Bill Brien Challenge Cup for the first time.

Some more from Swindale Shield matches we were at below:

Leaders Hutt Old Boys Marist were knocked off the top of the Swindale Shield table by 2023 winners Paremata-Plimmerton on Old Timers’ Day at Ngāti Toa Domain.

Paremata-Plimmerton scored the last three tries to win 24-12 after trailing 12-9 shortly after halftime.

The Hammerheads had the benefit of the chilly northerly in the first half but took a pummelling in the scrums as they struggled to build momentum. Hutt was inaccurate too in a splurting opening.

Paremata-Plimmerton first-five Sam Clarke kicked two penalties but the visitors scored the first try when Harry Press retrieved a rebound off the post and Hutt built phases eventually smashing through; Junior Paulo the try scorer.

Clarke kicked a 40m penalty on halftime as Paremata-Plimmerton led 9-7 at the interval.

Hutt props Benet Kumeroa (who played the whole 80) Vili Tauofaga and reserve Brett Mania were damaging. Mania scored a crash over try early in the second spell as it appeared the Eagles were set to dictate terms.

Instead a feverish Paremata-Plimmerton caught fire with lightning bolts from the bench and a stunning try by No.8 Alex Fidow where he ran around Brayden Laursen and dashed 40m.

Paremata-Plimmerton made a nuisance of themselves at the breakdown and hassled the Eagles into persistent fumbles.

Sprightly halfback Esi Komaisavai expanded the lead with classic cheek, a quip tap try to make it 19-12 with 20 minutes remaining.

Paremata-Plimmerton played expansively and Hutt ran out of gas. Winger Caleb Alaga, prop Peni Taupau, lock Ezekiel Fiso (4), blindside Tane McMillan-Parata Fidow and Clarke were perhaps most worthy of acclaim in the Hammerheads best display of the season.

It was heartbreak for Johnsonville and jubilation for Tawa as the home side scored a try in the clubrooms corner in front of their Old Timers’ Day supporters with the last play of the game to win 40-35.

In a Carman Cup thriller, Tawa attacked the scrum with their last throw of the dice and second five Kalim Kelemete made a thrust at the line. Tawa recycled through more phases and spun the ball out to right wing Rewiti Katene Leat who scored the winning try.

Only minutes before, Johnsonville halfback Mark Sutton had kicked a penalty to see scores level at 35-35, and it seemed to many it would stay that way until Tawa’s final heroics.

In a game of several momentum changes and lead changes, it was probably two back-to-back mistakes that cost Johnsonville victory. The first was a dropped ball in midfield that led directly to Tawa’s penultimate try, followed by an error from the next kick-off that further dented their impetus.

Both sides scored three tries in the first half, and Johnsonville led 22-21 at halftime. Tawa came out all guns blazing in the second half, and scored their fourth try and took the lead through halfback Kemara Hauiti-Parapara who scored under the posts in his 100th match.

Johnsonville hit back soon after with an outstanding try to right wing Finlay Sharp who scored his second try of the match, running in from a scrum near halfway.  Sutton’s sideline conversion put Johnsonville back ahead 29-28. Sutton extended the lead to 32-28 with a further penalty, before the drama unfolded over the final 15 minutes.

Johnsonville played into a gusty wind in the first half and started at breakneck speed. They were soon rewarded with the first try when they swung it wide from a scrum on halfway, and hooker Regan Herbert subsequently ran in the try which was unconverted.

Sutton kicked his first penalty to extend the lead to 8-0, before Tawa hit back with their first try. This saw hard running No 8 Matolu Petaia surge off the back of a scrum which led to fullback Jacob Denyer scoring in the corner. First five Luke Warmsley kicked the first of three sideline conversions to make it 8-7.

Johnsonville replied in style, from a fantastic fluid movement openside flanker Tyler Hall finished in the corner, Sutton adding the extras to put Johnsonville up 15-7.

Tawa replied next, with their second converted try, attacking off another scrum, right wing Leat scoring his first try to close the scores up to a point difference.

The seesaw continued with Johnsonville’s next try, another outstanding team effort. The Hawkes broke out of their own half and right wing Sharp scored his first try to put Johnsonville up 22-14.

Johnsonville had another chance to score with a concerted attack on Tawa’s line but were somehow kept out.

Right on halftime, Tawa scored to again close the gap to a single point. Tawa built pressure inside the 22, won a penalty, and halfback Hauiti-Parapara attacked and set up a try for lock Akira Ieremia.

A number of players on both sides had barnstorming games. For Tawa, Ieremia, Petaia and Kelemete all played well. First five Warmsley kicked well. For Johnsonville, right wing Sharp, second five Oliver Paotonu, flanker Hall, first five Niall Delahunt, and ever-reliable halfback Sutton all were amongst those who stood out.

At Porirua Park, it was tough viewing as Norths and Poneke battled themselves as much as each other in a 27-all draw that did little for either on the points table.

Norths had first use of the northerly and started well opening the scoring early, to prop Josiah Tavita-Metcalfe from a scrum, before one of Poneke’s rare forays into Norths have saw a long-range effort finished off by Jacob Turrell in the corner to close the gap to 7-5.

Norths pushed their lead out when Jaxon Poutama profited from a poor kick for touch, and extended it when Callum Watts-Pointer, playing his blazer game, barged over from close range. 19-5 would have been a just lead for the hosts but a yellow card to Jermaine Avei-Collins was followed by a try to Siale Siale.

Poneke made the early running in the second half and scored first when prop Noah Tuifao-Galuvao collected a shanked box kick and rumbled away. Wesley Maiava kicked a penalty before Poneke levelled it at 22-each and then drew ahead. Watts-Pointer’s second with about five minutes left joined matters once more but neither could find the winner.

Truth said it was an ill-disciplined affair with referee Hamish Mexted having to mediate far too often for a game at this level and had an ugly postscript when Norths veteran Johnny Teleaga received a red card for comments after the final whistle. On the positive Watts-Pointer was simply massive for his team, while lock Adam McRandle was everywhere for the visitors.

Premier 2

OBU kept their unbeaten lead at the head of the Premier 2 Harper Lock Shield, seeing off Avalon 47-10.

Petone are second after they beat Ories 47-31, and HOBM stayed in third with a 30-17 win over Pare-Plim.

Poneke were too good for Norths 67-12, Upper Hutt beat MSP 50-40 in a high scoring affair, Wellington topped Wainuiomata 42-35 and Tawa beat Johnsonville 70-7.

In the Lyndhurst Park curtain raiser, Tawa’s second XV ran rampant over their Johnsonville counterparts, as the score suggests.

Tawa won 11 tries to one, and thoroughly dominated the second half, playing into the wind.

Tawa were on top in the first half, but only scored three tries and led 22-0 at half time. They broke open the match to win the game early in the second half with a burst of three tries in five minutes to extend their lead to 39-0.

With both sides having made substitutions, the game opened up further as Tawa piled on more tries and eased past the half century with about 15 minutes to play.

Johnsonville fought hard to the end and came up with a consolation try. However, Tawa had the final say with two more long-range tries at the death.


Petone closed out the Women’s Rebecca Liua’ana Trophy with a perfect record, running in 26 points in each half in beating Ories 52-10 and being presented with the trophy afterwards.

Norths wound up in second after seeing off the Poneke-OBU side 38-0 at Kilbirnie Park, while Pare-Plim were too good for Avalon winning 45-15 with former Black Fern Shakira Baker running in five tries for the winners and No. 8 Sanna Aumua scoring all three for the visitors. Wainuiomata had the bye.

The competition splits next week for the remainder of the season.

The Petone Ponies finished the first round in style, beating recent former champions Ories comfortably today. Photo: Andy McArthur.


Big scoring in the Colts Paris Memorial Trophy this round.

HOBM remained unbeaten after seeing off Pare-Plim 43-34. MSP are second after they toppled previous high-flyers Upper Hutt 29-19, while Petone remain third despite losing 33-66 to Ories. Norths moved into the top four in beating Poneke 38-20. OBU thrashed Avalon 49-7, Wainuiomata beat Wellington 23-5, and Tawa beat Johnsonville 78-7 under the Lyndhurst lights last night.


The Tawa Ducks extended their perfect start to the season without leaving their clubrooms. They were defaulted to by the Johnsonville Terrahawks.

Four matches went ahead in the sixth round of the JC Bowl this afternoon and two were low scoring thrillers. The Paremata-Plimmerton Piranhas stripped the HOBM Howlers 14-10 and the OBU Scallywags beat the Avalon Wolves 12-5.

The other two games today saw Petone beating MSP 36-24 and Poneke defeating Eastbourne 36-12.


The Premiership contenders for this year have been finalised, after today’s third and final week of grading games.

This year’s competition is made up of: Scots College, St Patrick’s Silverstream, Wellington College, HIBS, St Patrick’s Town, Rongotai, Wairarapa College, Tawa College, Paraparumu College and St Bernard’s College.

St Pat’s Town and Rongotai expectedly bounded back from defeats last week to earn their spots. Town beat Porirua College 63-0 and Rongotai defeated Taita College 36-12.

The Rob Law Max sponsored St Bernard’s College won their seat at the table by beating Hutt Valley High School 14-10, while Wairarapa College beat Naenae College by default.

The Rob Law Max St Bernard’s College First XV has qualified for the Premiership. Photo: Tackld.

The Premier 2 teams will be: Silverstream 2XV, Wellington College 2XV, HVHS, Taita, Porirua, Naenae, Bishop Viard, Aotea, Rongotai 2XV, Onslow.

In today’s Premier 2 qualifiers, Bishop Viard beat Kapiti 34-17, Aotea beat Mana 55-12, the Rongota Second XV brat Upper Hutt 45-26 and Onslow came out on top of the St Pat’s Second XV 29-21.


Kia Toa and College Old Boys both won their seventh straight matches today with one week to play in the first round of Manawatu Senior 1 club rugby. Kia Toa are on a perfect 35 points having beaten Feilding Yellows 43-5 at home at Bill Brown Park. COB are on 33 points, after their 22-21 edging of Te Kawau out at Rongotea.

Massey had the bye today but are still third, while Old Boys Marist ran through minnows FOBO 79-0 and Freyberg assaulted Linton Army’s line three-four times too often to win 43-24.

The second half of the Horowhenua-Kapiti Ramsbotham Cup got underway today, with leaders Rahui making a statement by beating Waikanae 86-10 in the battle of the Expressway. Foxton also won comfortably, beating Levin Wanderers 47-7 at home while home side Shannon beat Paraparaumu 36-13. Levin College Old Boys had the bye.

In the Wairarapa, the first round came to a close, with Marist and Carterton both taking maximum points. Marist beat an under gunned Red Star 55-20, Martinborough beat Eketahuna 31-17 and Pioneer and Greytown drew 26-26. The fourth match failed to go ahead, with East Coast defaulting to Carterton on Thursday.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply